Tran Hai Fort
  
Update6/23/2020 3:01:37 PM
Address: Thuan An commune, Phu Vang district, Thua Thien Hue province

Located in former Thuan An sea gate, Tran Hai fort is a part of Hue Monuments Complex constructed under Nguyen dynasty (1802 - 1945). These days, the former sea gate is moved to another location, which is about 4km away from its orginal position. Tran Hai Fort still stays relatively intact.

Having selected former Thuan An gate (known as Eo sea gate in documents) as a strategic position, Emperor Gia Long had Tran Hai Tower constructed to control and monitor domestic and foreign ships in 1813. Under Emperor Minh Mang's reign, the structure was renovated in 1820, 1826, 1830 and 1831. In 1834, Tran Hai Tower was renamed Tran Hai Fort. A tall building called Lau Quan Hai was built to better observe the entire area. 9000 coconut trees were grown to prevent coastal erosion. In 1840, Lau Quan Hai served as a light house thanks to a large lantern. Under Tu Duc's reign, more military bases were constructed in Thuan An for defense purpose.

After French dominated Thuan An in 1883, French stayed in Tran Hai Fort till 1954.

Tran Hai Fort is a Vauban-styled architecture. The brick wall is 4,40m high and 12,60m thick. Its front gate is 2,60m high and 2,16m wide while the subsidiary gate is built on the back. There are 99 gun stands constructed in Tran Hai Fort. The surrounding trench system is 9,04m wide and 2,40m deep.

The Fort was recognized as national relic on Decision 871-QD/BVHTT on May 12th, 1997.

thuathienhue.gov.vn
 Print]
Other articles
    First Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next Last